There is an email being past around here these days entitled "You Know You Live in Christchurch When...". I love it, it really made me laugh. I am going to copy my favourites from it and add a few of my own. Here we go.
Christchurch Living means.....
1. You are in a nice eating establishment and excuse yourself to go to the powder room, only to find yourself in a portaloo.
2. All your pictures and decorations are on the floor.
3. You prefer to sit under the dining table instead of around it.
4. Dressing up to go to the city means wearing a hi-viz vest, hard hat and boots.
5. You greet friends and acquaintances with the words, "Do you need a place to have a shower?"
6. You've read and understand the terms and conditions of your House and Contents Insurance.
7. When your kids ask, 'Where's my...?" You can easily answer-- 'It's on the floor."
8. The words 'geotech' and 'liquefaction' are part of your everyday conversation.
9. Your toddler makes guesses at the size of aftershocks.
10. You think it is normal to see soldiers standing at the corner of the streets.
11. You roll your eyes and think 'big deal'when breaking news says there was a 4.9 earthquake in Wellington.
12. You drive by corners and can't remember what used to be there.
13. You jump every time a truck goes by and and windows of the house rattle.
14. You walk through the park, looking up at the trees, not to see the birds, but to make sure there is nothing around that can fall on you.
15. The old saying 'built like a brick house'has completely changed its meaning!