Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Life after...

It's May 30th 2013. So much time as passed since the major earthquakes struck the city of Christchurch. There have been numerous natural disasters around the world since we had ours. The news seems ever full of these huge events. I can't decide if there are more of them, or if I have become super sensitive to the pain of those who are going through such events. It has been so long since I updated this blog. The new normal of our life here seems almost mundane, but today, I realized once again that having gone through an event like ours, means that life has changed for me forever. I called Richard at work at 7am like I do most Wednesday mornings because he tries to be at work somewhere between 5:30-6 am. I always call to make sure he made there safely while I was sleeping. (So far, so good) "Did you feel the earthquake this morning?" he asks. "No, was there another?" says me. "Yup, quiet a long rumbling one. I heard it coming." I knew what he meant. A few, short years ago, that conversation would have made no sense to me. Now it is a part of my life. I reached for my phone and it was quiet easy to find geonet to check the size and depth of the earthquake. (It was a shallow 3.5, on the east side of the city). The fact that geonet.co.nz is so easy to find on my phone and computer is part of the new normal as well. But when I think about it, my smart phone is new, my house is new, having only two children living is new, my car is new. I have a new way of living. I'm alittle different myself. But not all that different and new in my life has do with the earthquakes. Life changes. I don't know what would be different in my life today if there had been no Christchurch earthquake on September 10, 2010. I don't know what life would look like for me had there been no earthquake February 22, 2011. I guess it doesn't matter. Every person who goes through a disaster, big or little, natural or manmade, personal or public, experiences change. And change can be awful...but it can also be good.

3 comments:

  1. Anything major happening in one's life can make the person or break them. Bring a family closer together or push them further apart. I remember those earthquakes too Barbara, but like many people, I remember them because you were involved and affected by them. They not only affected your life and others living there, but also the lives of people on the other side of the world who watched you. Your bravery and whole manner touched us deeply. Your strength and tenacity something so admired by many. Your belied in God and His goodness remained intact.

    I know I'm not alone in being delighted your life has become more settled and you once again have a home where you can now feel safer. I for one thank you. I thank you for showing us your strength and allowing us to share in the aftermath and how you overcame all that happened to you. It is this that has helped many overcome the smaller obstacles in their lives. You have been a true inspiration and still are. You are also a good friend. May God's blessings continue to shine on you and I thank Him for bringing you into our lives. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back blogging, B. Unless you've lived through it, you can't really know what it's been like. we have minor earthquakes on occasion, nothing above 3.7 or so but it's still disturbing. Hope Christchurch hangs on in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jim and Lorraine. It's amazing to look back on it all. But recently I've realized there are many kinds of earthquakes people experience, some are just more personal than others.

    ReplyDelete